Tonight is the big appreciation event at Treasure Island. Aerosmith, The Wailers, Three Dog Night and Roger Daltrey is a great line up. New Oracle/Sun Exadata system.
Today it's time for me to take off my Fusion Middleware hat, put on my database server hat and focus on 11gR2 features and on HA areas.
Oracle 11gR2 has tons of absolutely incredible functionality, I'm very impressed. Lots of things to reduce costs and simplify management of Oracle environments. However, there is definitely a new layer of complexity that is required to make things easier.
Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) has incredible functionality and interfaces. Very, very impressive.
Oracle RAC 11gR2 new features. Highlights include:
- RAC single node virtualized single instance.
- Oracle grid infrastructure - ASM and Clusterware.
- New installs cannot put OCR and voting files on raw partitions. Shared file system or ASM must be used.
- Policy and role separated cluster management.
- Server pools - logical division of cluster into pools of servers.
- More than one public network supported.
- IP service discovery.
- Grid Naming Service (GNS).
- 11gR2 lag control and DML redirect.
- Auto block media repair for primary and secondary platforms.
- OBIEE and active data guard.
- Top link and active data guard.
- Keynote: Larry Ellison discusses the state of technology. Arnold Schwarzenegger joined the keynote.
- Keynote: S. Gopalakrishnan - Seven Game Changing Trends: How Prepared Are You?
- Oracle Real Application Clusters and Oracle Clusterware Release 11.2
- Active Data Guard Best Practices: Standby for More Than Disaster Recovery
- Unconference presentations
Labels: Oracle Open World 2009