An audio presentation of this can be found at the GeorgeTrujilloBlog.
The Database Infrastructure Administrator (DIA) is going to be in higher demand than a Database Administrator in the near future for complex Oracle environments. Administration and management of Enterprise Infrastructures across multiple tiers is going to be an important skill set in large complex environments.
For the context of defining the following Database Administration (DBA) skills the definitions below will be used:
- Fundamental DBA Skills - Core DBA skills including backup/recovery, performance tuning, database security and basic administration knowledge.
- Intermediate DBA Skills - Fundamental DBA skills as well knowledge in a at least one advanced area of Oracle (Streams, RAC, Data Guard, Encryption, Data Guard, DW, BI, Data Vault, etc.).
- Advanced DBA Skills - Intermediate DBA skills as well as knowledge in a number of advanced areas of Oracle including knowledge of enterprise management with software such as Grid Control, Quest or CA database management software. Ability to work in a very complex database environment.
Database Infrastructure Administrator: Basic Skills
- Fundamental DBA skills
- Core Application Server Administration knowledge
Database Infrastructure Administrator: Intermediate Skills
- Intermediate DBA knowledge
- Intermediate Application Server Administration knowledge
- Ability to deploy web applications and communicate on topics with developers such as J2EE, Web Services, SOA, BPEL, XML, SSO, identity management, etc.
Database Infrastructure Administrator: Advanced Skills
- Intermediate to Advanced DBA knowledge
- Intermediate to Advanced Application Server Administration knowledge
- Ability to deploy web applications and communicate on topics such as J2EE, Web Services, SOA, BPEL, BPEL, XML, SSO, identity management, etc.
- Ability to manage the entire n-tiered technology stack using Grid Control or other 3rd party management solutions. Can manage at least one of the following areas across the entire enterprise infrastucture: Security, Backup/Recovery, Performance, Diagnostics.
- Some knowledge of a set of applications (PeopleSoft, Siebel, JD Edwards, Oracle EBusiness Suite or Oracle Fusion).