- Should we run Oracle Grid Control that gives us a management interface that leverages management of advanced Oracle features such as RAC, Streams, Data Guard, Scheduler, etc. Grid Control does a great job of managing the advanced features of Oracle, yet the Oracle plug-ins for DB2 and SQL Server are not as advanced as other 3rd party tools.
- Using 3rd party tools to manage heterogeneous environments that do a better job of managing a heterogenous environment, but are lacking in the advanced features of Oracle that Grid Control does a much better job of.
- What do I do with my current investment of database management software and how do I integrate this software into my future database management plans.
Overall we are trying to address the right decison for customers trying to maximize the management of a heterogeous environment, the multi-tiered architectures and the applications.
After a lot of evaluation we have narrowed the scope to the following solutions:
- Oracle Grid Control with Plug Ins for SQL Server and DB2
- CA UniCenter Database Management
- (small company solution)
We are evaluating a new solution that can give the benefits of what each company does best but it is going to require more testing and the beta software releasing for GA.