If you look at the IT industry today and the different acquisitions that are occurring you can start to see how the competitors and strategies are lining up. Here are a number of the key groups that will define direction and have an impact on where the IT industry is going. I picked these due to their capability to act as change agents:
- Oracle - Database server, middleware, applications.
- IBM - Database server, middleware, professional services.
- SAP - Applications.
- Microsoft - Operating systems and software.
- Sun, HP and Dell - Hardware and professional services.
- Internet companies - Google, Yahoo, YouTube, MySpace, etc.
- Open Source - The companies, products and initiatives of the community.
- Web 2.0 - Wikis, Blogs, Social networks, Mashups, etc.
- The Internet - The power of connectivity and access.
- Startup companies - The fuel for the Internet.
As an Oracle DBA or developer where do you see yourself in this Internet picture? Also, how are your skills evolving to stay marketable in this changing world?
Labels: George Trujillo